Saturday, August 25, 2018

Featured Model - 8/25/2018, Silver Filigree Silver

Hello and welcome to another edition of Featured Model, the weekly blog event where I pick a model from my collection, give some stats on it and provide commentary about it. This week's model is...the Silver Filigree Silver!



This guy was produced on the wildly popular Silver mold sculpted by Kathleen Moody. He's model #1193.

The silver filigree Silver was produced as part of the 2007 "Where in the World is Pegasus?" treasure hunt. Rather than have the pegasus be the rare chase model (although it was the reward for collecting all the UPCs), Breyer slipped approximately 500 silver filigree and charcoal Silvers into the boxes for the regular run colors. These, predictably, caused a sensation among collectors and also caused a lot of issues for dealers, which is probably why that stunt was never repeated after 2007.

I wasn't a part of the hobby in 2007, so I missed out on all the excitement (and still haven't gotten my hands on the sorrel Appaloosa). Fortunately, I managed to snag this guy for a pretty good price on eBay a few years back, and he's been a proud part of my silver filigree collection ever since.

The Silver mold has experienced a bit of a resurgence in the last couple of years. He was used a lot immediately after his introduction due to his popularity, including being a Breyerfest special run three years in a row, being the Breyerfest live show grand and reserve prize in the same year, the aforementioned Treasure Hunt, a Breyerfest raffle model, and various special run and regular run releases. By 2010, most collectors agreed that the mold needed a break (and evidently so did Breyer), so he went several years without being used much.

Since his long break ended, Silver has appeared as a web special, a Breyerfest special run, a TSC special run, last year's Liberty and Glossy Liberty special run, and probably other things I'm forgetting. Where will he pop up next? I'm hoping to see a new regular run, personally. Or maybe he'll be used at the upcoming Scottsdale Stampede? I'd say he fits that theme pretty well, and he hasn't been used for a collector event that I know of, so I'd say he's overdue for that. I guess we'll find out in November!

No comments:

Post a Comment