Saturday, April 14, 2018

Featured Model - 4/14/2018, Elska

Hello and welcome to yet another edition of Featured Model, the weekly blog event where I pick a model from my collection, give some stats on it and provide commentary about it! This week's model is...Elska!



We're currently dealing with a snowpocalypse while I pack models for our upcoming move, so I thought I'd pick a wintry model. So, Elska it is!

This pretty girl was the Brick and Mortar special run from 2015, only available to dealers with an actual physical storefront, and prohibited from being sold online. She's item #1731 and also holds the distinction of being the (so-far) only female release on the Falhofnir/Icelandic mold sculpted by Kathleen Moody. At the time of her release, I still had a brick-and-mortar dealer within driving distance, but that's no longer the case - so I just have to hope future brick-and-mortar special runs are all on molds I don't like. 

This model has the advantage of not only being a Moody mold, which I have a crippling weakness for, but she's also a dapple gray, which I also have a crippling weakness for. So, she had to join my collection! I love her soft dappling and the contrast between her light-colored body and darker legs.

The Icelandic mold has been rather lightly used since its first release in the Premier Club - he was a regular run briefly as Svali fra Tjorn and was the web special Honeysuckle in 2016. Other than last year's Early Bird heartbreak (still sad about that one), he just hasn't been used much. The Icelandic is doing the tolt gait, which is unique to the Icelandic breed, so he can't really be portrayed as anything else. That's the problem with molds that are too recognizable as one particular breed, like this one - lack of mold utility means it just doesn't get used as much.

I doubt he'll show up at Breyerfest this year, although they did somehow get away with using him as the Early Bird at a Breyerfest that otherwise had absolutely nothing to do with Icelandic horses, so they could always surprise us with him again. Maybe he'll be a web special again? Or another regular run? I'm sure he'll pop up somewhere eventually.

No comments:

Post a Comment