Saturday, March 30, 2024

Featured JAH - 3/30/2024, Mar/Apr 1999

 Hello and welcome to another edition of Featured JAH! Fittingly, it's March 30 today and this week's issue is Mar/Apr 1999 - so let's dig in! 

















On the front cover, Dorothy Crowell and Molokai take a cross-country jump. On the back cover, Molokai is revealed as the 1999 Breyerfest Celebration Model! Huzzah! I did have a Molokai at one time, but sold him off with the rest of my Big Bens (story of my life). 

















In the Editor's Desk, Stephanie talks about the Breyerfest 10th anniversary, talks up the KHP, and announces that all the Breyerfest vendors will now be located on the covered arena concourse, something that's a given now (though some of them have now been moved back out to the parking area next to the covered arena). Who knows - maybe someday the Alltech Arena will host most of the Breyerfest activities. I kind of feel like it's time? Maybe I'm just coveting the thought of experiencing all of Breyerfest in air conditioning. 

Anyway, on page 3 is an article about the American Royal horse show, featuring a portrait of Saddlebred stallion Will Shriver. I probably wanted this model back in the day, but never got one. 

















On page 4-5 is an article about the real Molokai! 

















On page 6-7 is information about Breyerfest 1999, including guests (people and horses) and events. 


















After skipping more Breyerfest stuff, we come to an ad for a model horse show at Spruce Meadows on page 10, and on page 11 is a Brushstrokes article featuring many people's favorite mold, the creation of the original porcelain Drum Horse, later to be released in plastic as Othello! I think I've said this before, but this means Othello is 25 years old...gulp! Does that make him vintage? 

















On page 12, the Ranch Horse makes his debut in three different colors. I've thought about starting a conga of this guy purely because I like his head/neck, but I'm not too crazy about the rest of him, so I haven't done it yet (and don't really have the space). On page 13 is Blast from the Past featuring the Classic Quarter Horse Family, and Just About...Breyer Animals! featuring the Pronghorn Antelope. 

















After skipping an article about airbrushing, on page 16-17 we find an article about Breyer portrait horse and influential sire Doc Bar. 

















On page 18 is the rest of the Doc Bar article and the rest of the (skipped) airbrushing article. On page 19 is a Newcomer's Corner article about ways to display models. 

















In this week's centerfold, the Roy Rogers' Trigger mold makes its debut on the Western Horse! I actually have this model, sans saddle, but it lives at my mom's house. I should really get that back from her sometime... Anyways, the Western Horse makes a pretty good Trigger, with saddle. It's interesting that the real "Trigger" in the photo appears to be a mare - I thought Trigger's doubles were all stallions/geldings? Apparently not. Maybe the photo was "edited" to preserve Trigger's dignity or something? The world may never know. 


















After skipping a minor news roundup, on page 24-25 is an article about GaWaNi Pony Boy's horse Kola, another Breyer portrait model for 1999. 

















After skipping Horse Trader and some Breyer jr. stuff, we come to this issue's Vintage Point article featuring the G1 Quarter Horse Stallion and Mare.

















On page 40-41 is the rest of the Vintage Point article. I had a buckskin G1 QH Stallion when I was younger - my grandpa found him at a garage sale for 25 cents if I remember right. He had a broken ear tip. Kinda wish I'd kept him now - oh well. 

That's it for this week - check back next week for May/June 1999! 

No comments:

Post a Comment