Sunday, April 3, 2022

Featured Model - 4/3/2022, White/Blue Cai Lun

 Hello and welcome to another edition of Featured Model, the weekly blog event where I pick a model that I don't own but has an interesting history behind it, give some stats on it and provide commentary on it. This week's model is...the white Cai Lun auction model! 


This model was a OOAK offered at the Breyerfest live auction in 2006. He was produced on the Belgian mold sculpted by Chris Hess. 

This guy is interesting because he's an alternate version of the normal Cai Lun, which was offered through QVC in 2001. According to IDYB, he sold for $1200 at that year's auction - a pretty standard price in a year when one of the live show prizes was the sale topper at $2600. In this blue-and-white color scheme, he looks a little like Blue Willow china, which could have been the intention. Interestingly, it looks like the auction model has a little extra detailing - I don't think the regular Cai Lun has those swirls/vine markings on his lower legs. I suppose he would have looked a little plain without some extra details, and we can't have that in an auction model. 

The Belgian (frequently referred to as the Bubble Butt Belgian) has his share of fans amongst collectors, and releases on him tend to sell well, though I don't personally have any in my collection. The Josiah release on him was my favorite of the 2020 Vintage Club releases, for what it's worth - and I did buy the pin of him! Haha. I have to admit most of the colors he's been released in over the last 10-15 years have been really nice - Red Rocket is another good one. There have only been a handful of releases in that time frame, though, so it's hard to say when he'll be used next. Maybe as a web special? I guess we'll find out! 


No comments:

Post a Comment