Sunday, April 10, 2022

Featured Model - 4/10/2022, Smutty Palomino Auction Alborozo

 Hello and welcome to another edition of Featured Model, the weekly blog event where I pick a model that I don't own but has an interesting history behind it, give some stats on it and provide commentary on it. This week's model is...the smutty palomino Alborozo auction model! 
















This model was a OOAK produced for Breyerfest 2008, the year of the introduction and then destruction of the Alborozo mold sculpted by Brigitte Eberl. I believe he was painted by Karen Gerhardt, but I could be wrong on that. 

This guy doesn't have that much of a story behind his creation (that I know of), but his claims to fame are twofold; he's one of the very few Alborozo auction models we've ever seen, and prior to 2019 he held the record for highest-priced Breyerfest auction model, selling for a hefty $13,500 price tag. Adding to his legendary status is the fact that he hasn't been seen in person again since (again, that I know of). Palomino isn't always my favorite horse color, but it's hard to make Alborozo look bad in any color, so this one is no exception. Too bad he wasn't glossy! Seems like I say that a lot...maybe I'm more Team Glossy than I want to admit? Either way, an enviable piece for anyone's collection. 

Of course, since Alborozo's mold was destroyed, we aren't likely to see much else produced in Traditional scale, other than the occasional auction model. But his (mirrored) Stablemate counterpart has seen plenty of use since its introduction in 2018. It's almost easier to ask where he hasn't been used over the last few years! I guess Breyer is just making up for lost time! 

No comments:

Post a Comment