Saturday, April 3, 2021

Featured Model - 4/3/2021, Cocoa Beach

 Hello and welcome to another edition of Featured Model, the weekly blog event where I pick a model I don't own but would like to, give some stats on it and provide commentary about it. This week's model is...Cocoa Beach! 















This model is item #712050 and was a run of 100 produced on the Adios mold sculpted by Chris Hess. He was a special run for the 2011 Sunshine Celebration collector event. 

Every time I see a model from the Sunshine Celebration, I kick myself again. I was drawn from the wait list for tickets to attend it, but didn't go because I didn't have the money and didn't have anyone to go all the way to Florida with. What a dummy! I could have found the money, and it wasn't like I'd never traveled long distances alone before. And the prices for any of those models have gotten insane lately (also still kicking myself for not jumping on a slightly-beat-up Daytona for $275 at the Clarion a few years ago). But, I guess that's how it goes sometimes. 

As for Cocoa Beach, Adios certainly looks handsome in glossy flaxen chestnut! Maybe someday I'll get lucky and add him to my herd. I always figured it couldn't be that hard to find one, since he was one of the higher run numbers, but I very rarely see them for sale, so maybe he's more popular than I thought. I'll just have to keep looking, I guess.

Adios doesn't get used a whole lot these days, but he does pop up here and there from time to time. He was most recently seen as one of the possible choices for this year's second Collector Club special run - he and three other models could be voted on during last year's Breyerfest. Who will win? I think I voted for the Carrick, but if Adios won I'd still buy it, naturally. Now that it's April, we should find out the results of that vote relatively soon - although it may be longer than normal with all the shipping delays we've had lately.  I hope it's sooner rather than later! 

2 comments:

  1. I love mine! Got him at a reasonable price at the Clarion room sales the BF after the Sunshine Event. Also managed to find a slightly flawed Spring Break at a great price. I can hardly wait for BF to go live again so I can hunt down the bargains at the hotel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! Bargain hunting at the Clarion is one of my favorite Breyerfest activities!

      Delete