Saturday, December 21, 2019

Featured Model - 12/21/2019, Puttin' on the Ritz

Hello and welcome to yet another edition of Featured Model, the weekly blog event where I pick a model from my collection, give some stats on it and provide commentary about it! This week's model is...Puttin' on the Ritz!



This handsome guy was produced for the Velvet Rope Event back in 2008. He's item #712006 and was a run of 100 on the popular Othello mold sculpted by Kathleen Moody.

Puttin' on the Ritz is one of those models I thought I'd never own - the combination of a popular mold and his rarity (he's in the top 5 rarest editions, not counting auction models, that this mold has ever had) made it seem like he would be forever out of my reach - until I was able to negotiate a partial trade for my Mother Lode Lady Phase! He's one of my favorite Othello models, despite the unfortunate green tinge he (and many others) ended up with. I wish I could have gone to the Velvet Rope Event, but having this guy in my collection definitely helps make up for missing it!

As for Othello himself, his mold turned 20 years old this year! Well, the original porcelain did - he wasn't issued in plastic until 2007, so I guess the plastic mold still has a few years to go before it hits the big 2-0. Where will we see him next? Possibly at Breyerfest 2020? Hopefully not as a prize model if so. His last Breyerfest appearance was as the 2018 volunteer model, so I guess anything is possible. I wouldn't say no to seeing him in the special run line, though if any draft gets used, it'll probably be Georg. So maybe Othello will get a rest for a while! But I hope it's not for too long - I think it's safe to say he's my favorite mold.

No comments:

Post a Comment