Saturday, April 6, 2019

Featured Model - 4/6/2019, Burnham

Hello and welcome to another edition of Featured Model, the weekly blog event where I pick a model from my collection, give some stats on it and provide commentary about it. This week's model is...Burnham!



This model was produced for Breyer's Sweet Home Chicago collector event back in 2015. She's item #712157 and was a run of 50 on the Make a Wish/Arabian Mare mold sculpted by Kathleen Moody.

While this model is definitely pretty, or I wouldn't have bought her, she does have an unfortunate chicken wire effect going on with her dapples. You'd think Breyer could have done better with a run of 50 models, but I was at the Sweet Home Chicago event and I remember the models were rife with quality issues. Even the table centerpiece models didn't escape it!

I wasn't able to buy my Burnham at the event, sadly - it took me until 2017 to find one at Breyerfest for a price I liked. A bit of haggling and she joined my herd! I've always thought the long-tailed version of this mold was particularly lovely (though we all know most Arabians in real life don't have nearly that much hair), so I was really happy to add her to my collection. Despite the unfortunate dappling situation, she really is quite pretty - I love the various shades of gray on horses, but this iteration is amongst my favorites.

This mold tends to be pretty controversial, for a few reasons: her weird double shoulder (which only appears on the head-down version), her flat left front leg, and various other anatomical issues. But I like her anyway - she looks like a nice, mild-mannered Arabian mare who'd be fun to ride (if she were capable of existing in real life). She was last used at Breyerfest 2016, so where will she pop up next? I doubt she'll be at Breyerfest this year, but maybe she'll get a web special release? I could definitely get behind that - her only web special appearance was back in 2010, so she's definitely due for a repeat appearance. If so, I hope they use the flip tail, since it's gotten the least use of the three we've seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment