Saturday, April 13, 2019

Featured Model - 4/13/2019, Medicine Hat Nursing Foal

Hello and welcome to another edition of Featured Model, the weekly blog event where I pick a model from my collection, give some stats on it and provide commentary about it. This week's model is...the Medicine Hat Nursing Foal!



It doesn't actually look like I've ever done a Featured Model on the Nursing Foal! I must have missed her. In any case, this model was a regular run from 1994-1997 and was part of a set with the identically-colored Thoroughbred Mare. She's item #3180 on the Nursing Foal sculpted by Chris Hess.

The Nursing Foal (and, by extension, the Thoroughbred Mare) are among the few vintage molds I collect. I'm not sure why; I guess the Nursing Foal looks less awkward than Hess's other foal sculpts (despite her outstretched neck), and she's pretty cute with the Thoroughbred Mare. They make a nice pair!

I don't have a complete conga of the two molds, although it wouldn't be hard to; the problem is finding them for a suitable (low) price, and the paint jobs on the older ones aren't exactly thrilling. I guess modern paintwork makes things more desirable to me. I did recently acquire the Pride and Joy set, which served to reignite my interest in the molds, so maybe I'll get my hands on the sets I still need over the course of the year.

On a related note, I can't wait to see the buckskin pinto set we're getting in the Vintage Club later this year! I bet they'd make an excellent family with Bristol.

Being a vintage mold, the Nursing Foal isn't terribly popular, but she at least has the distinction of having had a couple more releases than the Thoroughbred Mare. She appeared in a set with the Grazing Mare in 1989, and was used in a four-piece foal set in 1992.

Anyway, I won't speculate too much on where we see this set used next, since we already know they're part of this year's Vintage Club. I'm still a little sad that we aren't getting them in the glossy alabaster colorway, but maybe we'll still see that in the future. That, or some other modern paintjob! Perhaps they'll be a web special later? Alas, I can't see that being a big seller, but you never know!

No comments:

Post a Comment