Thursday, March 7, 2019

Breyerfest 2019 Special Run Predictions

Guess what time it is! That's right - Breyerfest prediction time! Ha, and I thought last year's post was late. At least that one was still in February! I guess that's what happens when life decides to come at you fast.

Anyway, I don't have the greatest record for predicting things at Breyerfest, but I'm going to give it my best shot regardless. So, here goes! As usual, these predictions will focus only on the special run line items to keep it from getting too long.

Three - soon to be four - of this year's special runs have already been revealed. They are Pepper (Clydesdale Mare), Quill (Smart Chic Olena) and Diana (Roxy). With the soon-to-be-revealed animal mold included, that leaves five other possible choices. Interestingly, we haven't seen any of last year's Premier Club molds yet - when they're usually the first to be revealed. Will we see any PC molds in the lineup this year? It's anyone's guess. We can definitely count on not seeing any molds used in the last two years, so that knocks Rejoice, the Cow, Latigo, the Semi-Rearing Mustang, Valegro, Shannondell, Yasmin, Flash, the Elk, Smarty Jones, Ruffian, Duende, Carina and Selene, the Proud Arabian Mare and Lonesome Glory out of contention.

Although we haven't seen any of them revealed yet, it's probably a safe guess that we'll see some of last year's Premier Club molds in the special run line. As a refresher, those molds were Bristol, Dundee and Emerson. The mysterious bay Bristol that appeared in that terrible YouTube video a few months back still hasn't been revealed, but most people on the Internets seem to think he'll be a store special, so I'll leave him out of these predictions. I still think it's safe to say we'll see Dundee and Emerson in the special run line, though.

As for the mare and foal set, here's a quick rundown of previous years' mare and foal special runs:

2010 - Stage Mom and Child Star
2011 - Hansel and Gretel (classics)
2012 - none
2013 - Naomi and Wynonna
2014 - Kodiak and Denali (bears)
2015 - none
2016 - Mamacita and Chico
2017 - none
2018 - Julep and Pim

We don't always get a mare and foal set every year, so this might be a year they skip that. If they don't, I have no idea what molds they would use or names they would give them. I don't know enough about comic book characters to speculate about mother-child pairs that would work. Maybe they'll do something generic? All of the special runs we've seen so far were direct references to comic book characters, though, so who knows. I'm going to err on the side of predicting we won't see a mare and foal set this year, but I could be wrong.

I'm sure the decorator will be something fun - comic book characters are well-known for their colorful spandex outfits that would never work in real life, so I'm sure we'll see something along those lines. Maybe on the Moody Andalusian? He's wild and crazy enough to work, and hasn't been used in the special run line since 2014.

Next comes the animal mold, which we saw a teaser for a couple of days ago. I still don't know what it could be - any of the wild animal or livestock molds would be too bizarre (at least for me), and the dog molds are too old/unpopular. I'm going to go with the Charolais Bull just because (last used in 2012, so he could conceivably appear again, though unlikely).

With that, we're already at the end of the list - the only thing left is the surprise model. Here's a list of previous years' surprise molds:

2009 - Quarter Horse Gelding
2010 - none
2011 - Ethereal
2012 - Flash
2013 - Roxy
2014 - Nokota
2015 - Lonesome Glory
2016 - Esprit
2017 - Latigo
2018 - Smarty Jones

For some reason, I didn't predict the blindingly obvious choice of Smarty Jones for the 2018 surprise. Maybe I thought it was too obvious? Either way, I messed up big-time there. Maybe I'll be able to redeem myself this year? As usual, the surprise model for the current year tends to be pulled from the pool of auction models from the previous year, so it'll probably be one of those.

After a quick look at the 2018 auction models, the top contenders for the surprise model would be Wyatt, Cigar (dubious), Wixom, Ashquar, Forever Saige and Salinero. I don't think Cigar is really popular enough to appear as the surprise, though. That's honestly a pretty short list, but I think Wyatt is at the top of the list for me - now that we've seen a model on a stand be the surprise, anything goes! He's fairly popular, new-ish, and the only knock against him is that he was used in the special run line way back in 2016. Latigo was the surprise in 2017 after appearing in the special run line in 2014, though, so I don't think that eliminates Wyatt. Unless I see something to change my mind, my prediction is on Wyatt (which would be easy on my pocketbook, since I don't collect him). The only question is, will they use a mold on a stand two years in a row? I guess we'll find out.

So, those are all the predictions I can think of so far. Here's a recap:

Pepper (Clydesdale Mare)
Quill (SCO)
Diana (Roxy)
Dundee
Emerson
Moody Andalusian
Charolais Bull?
Wyatt

No idea what colors any of the remaining models will be, except the remaining non-decorator models will probably be solid colors since we've already gotten a pinto on Pepper and an Appaloosa on Quill. As usual, we'll probably see a solid, an Appaloosa, one or two pintos and a decorator on the surprise mold - they really need to mix that up a little bit.

That's all I've got for today. I'll post the rest of my predictions at some point - hopefully soon, but I need more time to ponder on what they could be. On a good note, we've only got 4 months to go until Breyerfest is upon us once again! Huzzah!

No comments:

Post a Comment