Saturday, March 30, 2019

Featured Model - 3/30/2019, Blue Velvet

Hello and welcome to another edition of Featured Model, the weekly blog event where I pick a model from my collection, give some stats on it and provide commentary about it. This week's model is...Blue Velvet!



This pretty girl was a Connoisseur release in 2008. She's item #90144 and was a run of 350 on the Bluegrass Bandit mold sculpted by Kathleen Moody and Sommer Prosser.

This is one of the best colors Breyer has released on this mold, in my opinion. It works really well on her! She's very similar to Polaris - just with spots, obviously. They make a nice pair! My only nitpick is that she's basecoated white, and well...I'm just not the biggest fan of white basecoats. I think it makes the horse look less realistic and more like a cartoon, especially on a mold like BGB - she's cartoonish enough! Plus, it makes the horses' white areas look too white - no horse is that stark white in real life (except for the five minutes after they've been scrubbed within an inch of their lives for a horse show!).

I know it might seem weird to complain about the white basecoat not looking realistic when Breyer loves to use metallic and pearly paints in other paintjobs - indeed, Blue Velvet has a touch of pearliness to her, which I like. The white basecoat really isn't that big of a deal either way - I'd just prefer my models not to be basecoated. Maybe that's why I was somewhat ambivalent about Emerson last year? Hopefully Breyer comes out with a new release on him soon so I can see what he looks like in other colors.

Anyway, Bluegrass Bandit is a fairly popular mold for Breyer, but she hasn't had a lot of releases - probably because it's hard to release her in anything other than TWH colors due to her pose. Not counting auction models, she's had 15 releases since her 2008 debut, and three of those were highly limited! Mold utility is definitely a thing for Breyer - it's the most likely reason it took so long for us to get a Marwari model, and why we still don't have an Akhal-Teke (maybe we'll get one in the Premier Club this year?). BGB has been a web special twice already, so I'm not optimistic about her chances there this year - but she was last used at Breyerfest in 2017, so she's not likely to show up there either. Maybe she'll be one of this year's limited edition models? I hope so!

No comments:

Post a Comment