Saturday, March 23, 2019

Featured Model - 3/23/2019, Mini Appropos

Hello and welcome to another edition of Featured Model, the weekly blog event where I pick a model from my collection, give some stats on it and provide commentary about it. This week's model is...Mini Appropos!



This model was part of the Miniature Connoisseur Collection, offered through JAH in 2006. He's item #701706 and was a run of 3,000 on the (Stablemate) G2 Warmblood mold sculpted by Kathleen Moody.

The amount of detail on the models in this set was pretty incredible - the tiny eyewhites! The white areas on his legs! The tiny halo spots! Well, they may be vaguely haloed - it's hard to tell. And the models in this set were all like that!

For whatever reason, though, the set wasn't a big seller - it was first released in 2006, but I remember buying my set through Breyer's Shopatron website (before the 2011 website revamp) in 2010 after my return to the hobby. Why did they sell so poorly? Stablemate sets tend to be popular, and Stablemate versions of Traditional models get requested all the time, so it's a bit of a mystery. I suppose they probably just made too many sets, similar to what happened with the Double Exposure set - made too many and they were available for quite some time afterward.

Oh well! I like my set well enough - if only all the Stablemates had as much detail as these guys do. As for the G2 Warmblood, he's been fairly popular over the years - he's had innumerable releases, but he most recently appeared at Breyerfest 2017 as Vivaan, one of the single-day Stablemate models. Where will we see him next? He's being used in several places in the regular run line currently, so I don't know if we'll see him get any kind of special run release soon - but maybe he'll show up at the next Breyer event - who knows. At any rate, I'll be looking out for new releases on him - he's one of my favorite Stablemate molds!

No comments:

Post a Comment