Saturday, March 31, 2018

Featured Model - 3/31/2018, Shadow of Blue

Hello and welcome to another edition of Featured Model, the weekly blog event where I pick a model from my collection, give some stats on it and provide commentary about it. This week's model is... Shadow of Blue!



This model was a special run at Breyerfest 2001. In those days, Breyerfests didn't have themes (although Spirit of the West would debut the next year), so Breyer could produce whatever special runs they wanted. Maybe they should go back to that? In any case, Shadow of Blue was a portrait of the latest (male) offspring of one of the guest horses that year, Silky Keno. As item #710301, 1500 of these models were produced on the Amber mold sculpted by Kathleen Moody. And for all anyone knew, they sold out at that event...until Breyerfest 2013 came along.

That year, intrepid collectors in the NPOD found old leftovers of Shadow of Blue, priced at $15 each. Jackpot! I wasn't in the Breyer Store line quite early enough to find anything truly spectacular, but I remember seeing a lady and (presumably) her daughter looking at one. The daughter didn't seem especially interested in buying it, so I was planning on grabbing it as soon as she put it down. The mother saw me eagle-eyeing the model and told her to hold on to it (at least that's probably what she said, as I was too far away to hear what they were saying). Sadly, I meandered off, thinking the model was lost to me...until I found a whole box of more of them. Success!

So, Shadow of Blue joined my herd. I always liked the blue-black color of this model, probably because blue is my favorite color. So Shadow of Blue is a treasured part of my herd! I have most of the other Amber models, but someday I'd like to get my hands on the raffle set from 1999. I love decorators, and I always thought those two looked so nice in gold charm and wedgewood blue! Maybe someday. In the meantime, I'll have to be happy with my Shadow of Blue!

Amber was last seen in the regular run line as Sweet Pea, so she probably won't pop up there for a while. I wish Breyer would use the foal molds for special runs and/or web specials more often, but I suppose they have so many molds now that something has to fall by the wayside. I hope we see her (and her sister!) again soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment