Saturday, March 10, 2018

Featured Model - 3/10/2018, Quelle Surprise

Hello and welcome to another edition of Featured Model, the weekly blog event where I pick a model from my collection, give some stats on it and provide commentary about it. This week's model is...Quelle Surprise in perlino!



This model was one of the surprise models from Breyerfest 2015 (Vive la France!). As item #711220, he was the most desirable color from that year (easy to see why!) and was a run of 280 on the Lonesome Glory mold sculpted by Kitty Cantrell.

I remember when I found out who the volunteer model was - I was in the middle of volunteering during one of Morgen's sculpting classes when she announced it to the class. So I got to hear a chorus of little kids going, "Ooooooh!" when they found out the surprise. Definitely a fun moment! That was also the first year I was able to get the "hot" surprise color directly from the special run line. Too bad I couldn't get a glossy perlino too! Maybe someday I'll find one for a good price.

Sometimes I toy with the idea of selling my Lonesome Glory models, but the thought of selling this guy stops me every time. He's definitely my favorite of the LGs in my collection (I only have about 10). Other models I really like on this mold are the ones I don't have: Paparazzi, Goin' for Gold, the charcoal volunteer model, Mirror Image/Reflector, Mosaic, etc.

But Tinseltown and Woodland Splendor are fun models, too. Maybe someday I'll be able to add those rarer guys to my collection - in the meantime, I wonder why this mold has never been used for a web special? I mean, he's always been a popular mold, and he got a double JAH special run and two Connoisseur releases. Come on, Breyer!

I wouldn't be surprised to see him pop up at this year's Breyerfest either, with the racing theme and all. Probably as a prize or something, since he was the surprise model so recently. I mean, I wouldn't say no to seeing him in the special run line - it just seems unlikely. But we'll have to wait and see! In the meantime, I'll enjoy looking at my perlino Quelle Surprise.

No comments:

Post a Comment