Monday, January 29, 2018

For some reason, I've never done a post about Mini Whinnies

So, Mini Whinnies. I've been running this blog for a year and a half now and have never written a post about Breyer's tiniest models. I guess they just slipped under the radar. I'm pretty ambivalent toward them; they're too tiny and blobby for me, but I do remember when they were owned by Creata and went by the "Winner's Choice" brand name. A friend of mine had a lot of them when we were kids and we played with them a lot (my favorite activity was using the black rearing Arabian to "go nuts" and knock over all the other horses/playsets because he was "the Black" and liked to be crazy like that).

But I digress. Mini Whinnies have long been Walmart fodder, so of course Breyer had to start their blind bag phase using the Mini Whinnies. Past blind bag chase pieces have included the gold florentine draft horse and pink filigree jumper. There's a new chase piece in town now, though - the silver filigree Thoroughbred being found in Walmarts all over the country (along with last year's green/gold G3 Friesians, other blind bags from that release, and even the brand new blind bags with the copper filigree Django, according to rumor).



I have to admit he's pretty cool-looking (and less blobby than other molds of that scale), and it's not like I don't have space for Mini Whinnies - they're so tiny! - but I'm just not interested in starting another collection. They're just too small and liable to disappear in some forgotten box or crevice, especially once my son gets big enough to start running off with stuff. 

So, I'll have to be okay with observing from the sidelines, but that's honestly not that hard, as I hardly pay attention to the Mini Whinnies as it is. I'll have to do better in the future! 


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for putting in one place all the rumours/info I'd heard about various Deco Mini Whinnies. I thought they were repaints, until now-!

    ReplyDelete