Saturday, January 6, 2018

Featured Model - 1/6/2018, Moody Andalusian JCP Unicorn

Hello and welcome to another edition of Featured Model, the weekly blog event where I pick a model from my collection, give some stats on it and provide commentary about it! This week's model is...the JC Penney Andalusian Unicorn!



This model was produced in 2011 as a special run for JC Penney. It was the first (and so far only) time this mold, the Andalusian Stallion sculpted by Kathleen Moody, has appeared as a unicorn. This was the final year of JC Penney special runs, and no production numbers were ever provided for this release.

Woo! More unicorns! I remember when this model was first revealed - I had to have him! I miss JC Penney special runs...but there are so many special runs these days that I'm sure something else picked up the slack. The exciting thing about this guy (other than his horn) was when they all went on sale for $17 each! I'm not sure what made them suddenly decide to dump all these guys at such a low price (it was before Christmas that year, if I remember correctly), but I was ecstatic! I was on a much tighter budget in those days, so any opportunity to save money was greatly welcomed! And it was a unicorn, so of course I had to buy it.

As for this guy's color, he at least looks somewhat realistic other than the purple shimmer, and while he's close to the typical "white unicorn" look, he does have a lot of shading and dapples to set him off. I wonder what he'll look like next to Zena? Other than tiny, of course; that mold tends to dwarf just about anything you set next to it.

All in all, the Moody Andalusian makes a great unicorn - maybe he'll pop up again sometime. I wouldn't mind seeing a whole web special series of just unicorns, but that would probably make the realists in the hobby community complain. Think of the possibilities, though? Black unicorns (glossy, of course), rainbow unicorns, chartreuse unicorns...okay, maybe not that last one. But it would be fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment