Saturday, January 20, 2018

Featured Model - 1/20/2018, Red Carpet Royalty

Hello, readers! Welcome to another edition of Featured Model, the weekly blog event where I pick a model from my collection, give some stats on it and provide commentary about it. This week's model is...Red Carpet Royalty!



This handsome fellow was one of the special runs for Breyerfest 2010. He's item #711115 and was produced on the Goffert mold sculpted by Kathleen Moody in a run of 1,100.

I LOVE this color on Goffert. It's so pretty! How often do we see that rich, glossy red bay on models? Not often enough, in my opinion (and bay isn't even one of my favorite colors). I remain mystified as to why this model isn't more popular. I found mine in the NPOD in 2012, and I'm fairly sure I saw others there for at least a couple of years after that. He's a Moody mold, and 1,100 should have been sufficiently limited. So what gives? Taking a quick look at sold eBay listings, the average price he's been selling for lately is around $75.

The only thing I can think of is that the Goffert mold is considered to be especially cartoonish even for a Moody sculpt, and perhaps he got overshadowed by other things. Among the other special runs were Stage Mom and Child Star, the first time Giselle and Gilen were offered in plastic, and Star Studded, issued on the ever-super-popular Silver mold (and in bay appaloosa, which I swear showed up as a SR line item for like 7 Breyerfests in a row). Other special runs included Technicolor, with his nifty color-shift paint, and Tinseltown on the popular Lonesome Glory mold.

With that kind of competition, I still shouldn't be surprised that Red Carpet Royalty apparently fell by the wayside...and yet he did. It'll have to remain a mystery, I guess. But hobbyists can be fickle, so it may be nothing more than that. In the meantime, he's a welcome addition to my collection, and I look forward to seeing Goffert again (hopefully) soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment