Wednesday, September 7, 2016

New Breyer Web Special - Leandro!

Today's big news is that a new web special has been announced: Leandro, on the Silver mold!



He certainly is an interesting fellow. I have the other three Big Cats and I collect Silver, so I'll be entering for this one as well. No idea what the chances of being drawn will be - his piece count is lower, so more people will be entering. It seems Breyer finally got a clue that 350 is just too common for some people, hence the low secondary market prices we've been seeing for pretty much all of the recent web specials. At least the shipping is free.

I don't know if Silver would have been my first choice to portray a lion - I think a Nokota would have been better, since he has more wild mane than Silver does, and he seems a bit more bulky as well. On the other hand: I've been wishing they would use Silver for a few more things, as I missed most of his releases until I got out of college in 2010. By then, the mold had been given a temporary retirement because they had used it so much, and it hasn't been used a lot since then. So it's good that they're using him for something. I guess I have a lot of mixed opinions here.

My biggest question about this release is: why the name? I would have thought they'd use something more African, as it were.

A quick Google check shows the following results, though: "Leandro is the Portuguese, Italian, and Spanish variant of the English name Leander. A blend of two Latin words (Leo "lion" and Andro "man"), Leandro is a name that suggests its bearer has strength and power."

Ehh. I guess that makes sense, but they already used Leandro for this JCP resin a few years ago. If the ad copy for the release says the model is based on an African lion, I'd expect an African name. Oh well. Crossing my fingers that I get drawn!

No comments:

Post a Comment