Saturday, November 25, 2023

Featured JAH - 11/25/23, Mar/Apr 1996

 Hello and welcome to another edition of Featured JAH! I hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving. This week's JAH issue is Mar/Apr 1996, so let's get going! 
















On the front cover, a cowboy in a very pink shirt prepares to rope something. The font color on the front page matches the guy's shirt nicely. On the back cover, the 1996 Breakfast Tour Special "Mighty Buck" makes his debut. 

















On the inside cover, we get a look at the upcoming Offspring of Leo model, the Porcelain Saddlebred and Malibu, the raffle model for Breyerfest 1996! On the next page is the Breyerfest 1996 ticket order form/event announcement for Breyerfest 1996, which took place July 26-28, 1996. 

















On page 8-9 we have the full schedule of events for Breyerfest 1996. This appears to be the first year of the Parade of Breeds that's now commonplace in the Covered Arena during Breyerfest. 


















On page 16 we have an article about Breyer portrait horse Laag, and on page 17 is Blast From the Past featuring the SR chestnut Legionario, and Just About...Breyer Animals featruing the original Spanish Fighting Bull. 

















The centerfold features the Breyerfest 1996 Celebration Horse, Tseminole Wind! I think I wanted Tseminole Wind back in the day, but of course there was no chance of us ever going to Breyerfest when I was a kid, so I had to wait until my post-college return to the hobby in 2010 to obtain one. Then I ended up selling him and the rest of my Shams for shelf space anyway. Oh well. 

















On page 20-21 we have a Breyerology article about chalky models, with photos. Chalky models from the oil crisis time period are still sought after today, and modern chalkies can still be found today, though they're generally referred to as being basecoated white instead. 




On page 22-23 we have another Brushstrokes article by Kathleen Moody. If you'll remember the article from last week which had some Stablemate-size armatures in it, in the top photo on page 22 we can see an early version of the G2 Warmblood. Many of the G2 molds appeared as sneak peeks like this before they were officially revealed in 1998 when the JAH 12-piece Stablemate set made its debut. 

















This issue's Vintage Point featured Yellow Mount, who had also had a healthy number of releases by this time. He was/is a pretty popular mold, so it's nor surprising that he'd had a lot of releases. 

That's all I've got for today - check in next week for May/June 1996! 


2 comments:

  1. I'm really enjoying these posts. Especially since I recently took my porcelains out of storage and put them on display, and one of them is the parade horse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My copy of this JAH no longer has its order form — I went to my first BreyerFest that year! I must have pored over every scrap of BF info in there hundreds of times; & Tseminole Wind was one of 5-6 Shams I brought home that year, lol.

    ReplyDelete