Saturday, January 28, 2017

Featured Model - 1/28/2017, Phantasma

Greetings, readers! Welcome to Featured Model, the weekly blog event where I pick a model from my collection, give some stats on it and provide commentary about it! This week's model is... Phantasma!



This interesting model was released in 2005, presumably a regular run. He's item #710005, issued on the Smarty Jones mold sculpted by Sue Sifton. He was the fifth release in Breyer's Halloween Horse series of models.

I'm not sure where Breyer got the idea to do a Halloween-themed series, but I definitely like this guy. I like his color gradient from yellow to orange - he's an ombre horse, before it was trendy! It would have been interesting to see how these guys were painted - you can definitely feel the edges of the black markings. The paint must have been pretty thick!

Smarty Jones, the mold, is more middle-of-the-road for me - I've yet to see him released in a color that really wowed me, with the possible exception of the rainbow cheetah test from Breyerfest 2014. Though, to be fair, Tempest and Frankel are both pretty nice too. I wouldn't mind seeing Smarty used as another web special - it's been long enough since we got Riley. Or maybe he'll show up at this year's Breyerfest? I wouldn't be surprised to see him used for a tent SR in his polo pony iteration, given polo's connection with India. That would be fine with me!

No comments:

Post a Comment