Saturday, February 1, 2020

Featured Model - 2/1/2020, Salem

Hello and welcome to another edition of Featured Model, the weekly blog event where I pick a model from my collection, give some stats on it and provide commentary about it! This week's model is...Salem!



This model was one of the Halloween special runs for 2019, part of Breyer's burgeoning Halloween collection that seems to grow every year. He's item #712300 on the Mason mold sculpted by Kitty Cantrell. Run numbers were never published, which seems to happen more and more these days.

I thought this guy was a really clever design! He looks realistic at first, until you notice all the cats in his pattern and the purple interference in his color. If you don't look too close, he also makes a good mini Hamilton, so if you had this guy, the original Hamilton and the Charleston Stablemate, you might be able to make a fun group show entry or something. This particular model had a badly warped front leg, which I don't have the courage to attempt to fix - but he still stands on a shelf, so I can overlook it.

As for Mason himself, I feel a bit sorry for the mold - it's been sadly neglected since its 2018 debut. We didn't even get a glossy Mason for the live show giveaway last year! Not that I'm going to complain too much about that, since it was one less model I'd need to track down later, but still. Will he get a release at Breyerfest this year? Cue the complaining about him not fitting the theme. Maybe he'll get a mid-year release? Or maybe Breyer will punish me for writing this post by making him the late spring/early summer gambler's choice Classic release. That seems fairly likely. Let's hope his next release is something more mundane! 

No comments:

Post a Comment