Wednesday, November 22, 2017

St. Moritz is here!

Greetings, readers! My St. Moritz model arrived today, so I thought I'd post some photos of him. Behold!


I have to say: I love, love, love this model. His blue color is a little more intense in person than it appears in the photos, and I love it. He's beautiful!



A couple of days ago I saw a post on Sommer Prosser's Facebook art page indicating that she had designed this model. I should have known! Her designs are always great!



The model is clearware, obviously, but an unexpected touch here is that the snowflakes are masked all the way through the paint, making them see-through! Genius!


Quality-wise, he's pretty good - some blurred masking here and there and some kind of weird rough white spot on his mane tendril - but nothing really bad. Even his eyes are nicely painted, and that's saying something in the era of black-splotch-eyes!

Finally, I want to talk about how his mane, tail and feet start out frosted and transition to clear on the ends, for an icy look - it's perfect for this model.


See? It's genius! Oh, I said that already. Well, suffice it to say that this is one of my favorite new releases from Breyer in the last few years - something to break up the monotony of silver filigree releases year after year, and a way to use up those leftover clearware Esprit bodies at the same time!

The only other question I have relates to the prototype - Sommer said she designed this model on a different mold, not having a clearware Esprit on hand at the time. So, which mold did she design this model on originally? That would be fascinating to know - this is a paintjob I think would look good on any model. He's a welcome addition to my collection! 


No comments:

Post a Comment