Sunday, August 6, 2023

Breyerfest Closeups: Cheryl White and Jetolara Gift Set

 Greetings, readers! I've got another Breyerfest Closeups for you tonight - the new Cheryl White set with the Classic/Freedom Series Thoroughbred. Here we go! 














This set is one of Breyer's fall releases and will be available in September. The doll and horse are portraits of real-life jockey Cheryl White, the first black female jockey, and her horse Jetolara, who she won her first race on in 1971. The book was co-written by Cheryl's brother Raymond White Jr. and Sarah Maslin Nir. If you want to buy the book separately (like me, because I don't collect the mold), it can be found on Amazon and will be published on September 5. Interestingly, the book is the second in a series called Once Upon a Horse, "stories inspired by real horses and the people who love them." I don't remember this being mentioned in the live Breyerfest coverage, but I might have missed that. 















There is a ton of shading on that Jetolara model! This one is probably a sample, so I wonder if the regular production models will have that much shading. 















If this set is successful, I wonder if Breyer will make tie-in models for the next few books in the series? They seem to like doing Classic horse-and-book sets, so I'd say the chances are high. Anyway, I'm excited to read this book! It looks like an interesting story, and these types of stories need to be told more often. 

On a side note, there's yet another Trad horse in the TSC lineup - Lefty! 
















Kind of a weird name, but whatevs. It's a new release on Cigar, and he's not bay! Huzzah! 

Still no sign of the Trad-size blue cow, but I guess there's still time. My order of Merle and the Classics set shipped on Friday and is scheduled to arrive this Friday, so I'm excited to see those as well! 

No comments:

Post a Comment