Wednesday, November 30, 2022

A shipment of unicorns!

 Greetings, readers! I hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving - I know I did. And now I have some new unicorns to show you! I'll start with Altair: 

















These photos don't quite do him justice, but he's definitely a stunning boy! 

















I love the hint of pearl in his coat, and his blue eyes. 





















Unfortunately, he does have some quality issues that I'm not terribly happy with. I'll start with his horn - clearly this model wasn't intended to have a horn added later, as his forelock covers the part of his forehead that the horn would come out of (not a knock on the sculptor, just an observation). So they clearly just stuck the horn onto his forelock. The base of the horn is somewhat skinnier than the rest of it (maybe other molds have a hole added in the forehead for the horn to slot into?), so this could make it easier to break off. I've seen a couple of these guys show up with broken horns on Facebook, so I'm sure there are probably more. The horn on mine is crooked, too, which is irksome. 

The bigger issue is this: 





















It's somewhat hard to see in this photo, but the model has a seam line that forms an almost perfect square around his shoulders and across his withers/back (it's visible below the gloss drip on the horse's withers - another groanworthy issue). I've never seen this line on any of my other Shire B models, but it's probably a leftover seam from doing the switcheroo to the Shire B's lowered head. What's going on in the factory right now?  This is a fairly large prep oversight. Someone else posted about these lines on Facebook, so clearly mine isn't the only one with the issue. 

They also could have bothered to paint the model's ribbons, but that's a fairly minor issue compared to the things listed above. I'm not going to bother returning this guy, because I just can't be bothered right now (and would risk getting a worse one in exchange). I mean, it's kinda cool being able to see how they change out the heads on the models, but...I'd rather he have properly-cleaned seams. 

Oh well. On to Ceres and Minerva! 

















I was happy to see that this pair is glossy! I don't think they were advertised as such. 

















As described on the website, Ceres is a blush-pink color with gold mane and tail, whereas Minerva is more uniformly golden. They have a pleasing glittery sheen, too. 

I didn't see any quality issues with the foal, but the mare does have this unfortunate spot on her hip:

















It's underneath the gloss, so somebody really screwed up there. 

Otherwise, though, they're both pretty nice.






















The foal is for sale, so if you're interested in buying her, send me a message! 

That's all I have for today - I'm still waiting for my holiday Stablemates and the three Poppy & Ollie sets to arrive, so let's hope we get some exciting reveals in the meantime! 

No comments:

Post a Comment