Saturday, July 23, 2022

Featured Model - 7/23/2022, Trigger

 Hello and welcome to another edition of Featured Model, the weekly blog event where I pick a model I don't own but has an interesting story behind it, give some stats on it and provide commentary about it. This week's model is...Trigger! 
















This model was item #758, a regular run produced on the Western Horse sculpted by Chris Hess. He was produced from 2000-2006 and came with a VHS tape of a Roy Rogers movie. 

Hearing "Happy Trails to You" played at Breyerfest on Sunday afternoon inspired me to do a little light reading about Roy Rogers and Trigger, which led me to decide to feature the Trigger Breyer model for today. I do technically own one of these guys, but his saddle is missing and he stays at my parents' house. I don't remember how I came to own him - he may have been in a body lot I purchased for resale a number of years ago and I held onto him because, well, he was Trigger. I should probably reclaim him from my parents at some point. I may be a bit too young to remember Roy Rogers in his heyday, but I do remember watching Under California Stars a lot when I was a kid. I don't remember watching anything else Roy Rogers-related, though - as far as I know, Under California Stars was the only Roy Rogers videotape we had. I remember being sad when he died in 1998, though. 

Anyway, the Western Horse is pretty much the perfect model for Breyer to use as Trigger (the black tack with silver accents is almost as recognizable as he is) - the only question is why it took as long as it did. Maybe they couldn't get permission until after Rogers' death, though that seems unlikely, considering the amount of other Roy Rogers merchandise out there. In any case, he makes a great Breyer model. 

The Western Horse has had his share of releases over the years - as Breyer's first model horse, it's only fitting that he get a new release every once in a while. While I'm most partial to this auction model from 2010, I was also intrigued by this one - he has the same pattern as the SJW Connoisseur Inconspicuous. When it comes to more attainable models, I did like the Gossamer release from 2014, though I never did obtain one. Maybe someday I'll have enough room in my collection to pick up a couple of these guys to keep Trigger company. It's hard to say where he'll pop up next - he appeared with a grooming kit in 2020 for the Vintage Club, but I almost expect him to show up there again as a nightlight or something! 

1 comment:

  1. Despite having quite a soft spot for the WH, I never really paid attention to Trigger when he was current because, well, it was another palomino WH, right? Well, several years ago I found a bagged Trigger in the NPOD & he just spoke to me. He's lacking reins (It doesn't look as if he ever had any) but his paint detailing is *immaculate*. Absolutely perfect, much tidier than the shot on IDYB — even the width of the bridle/breastcollar b/w the horse & the face of the tack is painted perfectly. I don't know if he was some sort of sample or what, but I adore him!

    ReplyDelete