Sunday, August 6, 2017

Zion and Moab are here!

Okay, I confess - they got here a few days ago, but I had other things to blog about. So, here they are!

 

I was a little worried about what they'd be like, quality-wise. I'd been hearing a lot of bad things about the mares - namely, that the seams were really bad on some of them, and others were poorly painted.

 

My two aren't too terrible in the paint department - Zion has a smudged spot on her neck, a tiny eartip rub and a couple of other minor issues, and Moab doesn't have any issues at all that I can see, not even with the seams. Which lines up with what I'd been hearing - the mares are messed up, but not the foals.

 

Sorry for the naughty bits in that picture. My Zion is pretty okay, seam-wise, but she does have that very visible seam where the tail joins the body and another right next to the vulva. The factory workers in charge of sanding the seams must have been asleep at the wheel or something, because they're kind of...really noticeable.

 

They do have nice color, though, and I like that the mare is even browner than the set I saw in the Collector Club tent at Breyerfest. Much better than the grayish color in the promo photos. I did notice one odd thing with their eyes, though...

 

...namely, that Moab's eyes are much more detailed than Zion's. The foal gets eyewhites and blue eyes, and all the mare gets are sloppily-painted black blobs with eyewhites? That's weird. You'd think the mare would have some type of eye color too, but evidently not. I almost wonder if the mares were painted in one factory, and the foals in another (I believe Breyer has two factories in China).

But like I said earlier, their paint jobs aren't bad at all - it's just that someone dropped the ball with the seams on the mare. Let's hope that doesn't become a trend!

All in all, I really liked the releases in this series and I hope Breyer continues with it, if only because I really want a glossy alabaster Weather Girl. I think Sommer has done a really good job designing these, and I can't wait to see what comes up next!

No comments:

Post a Comment