Saturday, August 12, 2017

Featured Model - 8/12/2017, Gemini

Hello, friends, and welcome to another edition of Featured Model, the weekly blog event where I pick a model from my collection, give some stats on it and provide commentary about it. We're featuring a Classics model with this week's...Gemini!


This model was produced in 2015 as part of Breyer's "Zodiac Series" issued on various Classic molds. No word on how many were produced, but it was probably considered a regular run...which they may have regretted not making a limited run, since most of the models in the series are still available on the website. There's also no word on who sculpted this model, oddly enough. Anyone out there able to shed some light on that?

This really wasn't too bad of a series from a color standpoint - I really like most of the colors, but none of them were issued on molds I collected. Here's a quick promo photo of the whole series.



When Marigold was revealed earlier this year, though, I decided I liked the Show Arabian well enough to add it to my collection. I do like the combination of colors here - yellow, a bit of green and even some blue in the mane and tail. Combine that with the silver hooves and we have a winner. Frankly, I might have ended up buying all of them if they'd been on molds I collect, because I like all of the colors. The only one that doesn't do a whole lot for me is the second from left on the bottom row...otherwise I could see myself buying all of those colors.

The other big improvement with this series compared to the Blossoms series from a few years ago is that they actually used more molds. The Blossoms had twelve models spread over...three molds. Which makes no sense, considering the number of molds Breyer has. Much better to spread it out and give some other molds a chance to shine.

As for the Show Arabian itself, I do like the releases it's been done in - even the weird original one with the mohair mane and tail and glass eyes. I named mine "Fluffy" because I'm a tad unoriginal when it comes to these things, but it did seem to be nicely done. We'll see how that mohair looks in 20 years, though.

Unfortunately, we already got new Classics this year, so I don't see much being done with this mold in the future. But who knows - maybe they'll use it for a surprise website special run, like last year's Sharpieloosa - oops, I mean Triton. I'm crossing my fingers!

No comments:

Post a Comment