Saturday, April 6, 2024

Featured JAH - 4/6/2024, May/June 1999

 Hello and welcome to another edition of Featured JAH! This week's issue is May/June 1999, so let's get going! 
















On the front cover, Lucy Lawless as Xena poses with Argo. On the back cover, the Breyer model of Argo makes its debut! I never had an Argo as I wasn't a Xena fan (too cheesy). 

















In the Editor's Desk, Stephanie talks about various upcoming releases and poses with a Xena impersonator at the NY Toy Fair. On page 3 is a Breyerfest 1999 update, including a reveal of raffle model Ransom and announcements of various guests.

















On page 4 is the announcement of Equitana 1999 and Grane! I desperately wanted Grane when I saw this article but never thought I'd own one at the time. I did eventually get one and then sold him off later when I sold my Legionario models. On page 5  are some other special run models for 1999.




On page 6 is a Brushstrokes article about Marrita McMillian, and on page 17 is the beginning of a how-to article by Sheryl Leisure about airbrush-painting a model. 

















On page 8-9 is the rest of the airbrushing article. Although I never did get into painting models, I always liked this article for the step-by-step instructions and all the photos of the stages of painting the model.






After skipping an article about Classic-scale racehorses, this week's Blast From the Past features a retrospective of past Breyerfest raffle and Celebration Models. I can't remember if there were any raffle models I really wanted back then. Maybe the Sham? or the Hackney? Or the Big Ben? Hmm, I'm sensing a pattern here. Nothing I want these days, though. At various points I had Mego, Tseminole Wind, Rejoice and Molokai, but they've all since been sold off. 

















After skipping a judge's clinic about gymkhanas, on page 18-19 we find an article about Breyer portrait model Wahoo King. 

















On page 20-21 we have the article about Xena and Argo. 

















On page 22-23 is an article about showing models at Breyerfest, including a photo from the days of showing models on the dirt floor of the Covered Arena. Fun! 

















After skipping the results of a display contest, some Breyer jr. stuff and Horse Trader, we come to Who Am I? featuring some type of Belgian, the rest of the Brushstrokes article about Marrita McMillian and this week's Vintage Point, this time featuring the Grazing Mare. 

















And on page 40-41 is the rest of the Vintage Point article! That brings us to the end of this week's issue - check back next week for July/Aug 1999! 

No comments:

Post a Comment