Saturday, February 11, 2017

Featured Model - 2/11/2017, Rainbow Weather Girl

Hello, readers, and welcome to another thrilling edition of Featured Model! Featured Model is the weekly blog event where I pick a model from my collection, give some stats on it and provide commentary about it. This week's victim is... Rainbow!



 

 This pretty girl is item #1465, issued in 2011 on the popular Weather Girl mold sculpted by Brigitte Eberl. She was one of three possible redemption models one could receive from that year's Treasure Hunt. As usual, Breyer never released how many of these were made, but I think she was the rarest of the three (the other two were the matte and glossy sorrel? red dun? chestnut? pintaloosa "Rainbow").

I love this model. No ifs, ands or buts. I have a weakness for rainbow things and this model is no exception. A pretty Arabian-looking model, in a pretty pose, in a color that screams, "BUY ME BUY ME NOW!"? Sold. Unfortunately, I had to wait a while before her price came down to a range I wanted to pay, but she was worth the wait. She's not the first translucent model I've ever owned, but she's definitely the prettiest.

The Weather Girl mold's first release came in 2011 through the Treasure Hunt (which was evidently the last Treasure Hunt for the foreseeable future). She was issued in five colors through the Treasure Hunt and was also a Breyerfest special run that year. In addition, glossy versions of the three TH colors were prizes at the Breyerwest live show that year, and she also showed up at the Sunshine Celebration collector's event as the coveted Winter Haven. Still kicking myself for not attending that, as I was drawn for a ticket but couldn't afford it at the time.

Then, at the end of the year, Weather Girl was used as the silver filigree special run, Mont Tremblant. So she definitely got plenty of use that year, because she spent five years in the "Breyer Vault" after that, and only came out again last year. I'm still baffled that they didn't issue the Swirling Sky Connoisseur model on Weather Girl instead of reusing the Moody Andalusian, though. It's not like they didn't have any translucent Weather Girl bodies available.

Aside from the various auction models, Weather Girl has only shown up once since coming out of the vault - as the current regular run release, Rhapsody in Black. I'd thought Breyer would want to celebrate that a little more and use her for a few more things, but that didn't happen last year. Maybe I'm wrong about my Breyerfest predictions and she'll show up there? Or possibly as a web special for America the Beautiful? Still hoping for a glossy alabaster. I guess we'll have to wait and see. I have all but the rarest of her releases, but the collection could always use a few more. I'll be crossing my fingers!

No comments:

Post a Comment