Wednesday, April 24, 2024

Dastardly Domingo Discord

 Well, as some of you may have seen on Blab, my Domingo model came in, and I was super excited to open it! He was a super-handsome model...until I checked out the other side and saw this. 









It may be a little hard to see, but there's an oval area on his neck where the paint is rubbed off. Next to it is an area where (and I was dumbfounded to discover this) the paint was so fragile that I could scrape it off with my fingernails with very little effort. I have never, ever seen this happen before - not that I intentionally try to scrape off models' paint, but I was trying to figure out if the scrapes were actually scrapes or something stuck to his neck, and it scratched right off. I'm...reasonably sure the paint is supposed to bond with the plastic so that doesn't happen? Right? 

I've seen reports of other people having issues with yellow spots on the side of the models, but I haven't seen anything about the paint scratching off super-easily. So maybe it's just something with my model specifically? Some type of mold release agent not being fully washed off the model and keeping the paint from adhering properly? Who knows. 

At any rate, Domingo is now on his way back to New Jersey. Let's hope the replacement is better! Hopefully sans yellow spot, as well. 

1 comment:

  1. Good luck here too,... ! I once had scratchable paint on a Breyer, but it was a porcelain. I wound up having her partially-repainted by a top notch model repairer.

    ReplyDelete