Saturday, September 16, 2017

Featured Model - 9/16/2017, Caves of Lascaux

Hello and welcome to another edition of Featured Model, the weekly blog event where I pick a model from my collection, give some stats on it and provide commentary about it. This week's model is...Caves of Lascaux!


This model is item #711228, and was produced as one of the pop-up tent models for Breyerfest 2015. She was done on the Zebra mold sculpted by Kristina Lucas Francis, and was a run of 650.

At first I was lukewarm about this model, since this is only the second time it was used for any type of wide release since its original release as the Damara Zebra in 2000. But eventually I decided I liked her face, and the cave drawings were unique. So, husband was dispatched to get me one from the pop-up line, as I was busy volunteering, and I haven't regretted buying her since!

I really like the combination of the model's color plus the colors in the cave drawings - not that they're really that different from each other, but they set each other off nicely. And like I said, I like her head/face - she looks good in that primitive dun color.

This is one of the molds I wish Breyer would use more often - it's been long enough since the original Zebra was retired that they could easily do another one, or they could use it as a wild ass, or Zebra cross or something. However, my favorite thing about this mold is that it gave us one of my favorite auction models to date - the Fruit Stripe Zebra! If only it would come up for sale, so I could try to buy it! I'll have to keep my fingers crossed! 

No comments:

Post a Comment