Saturday, October 14, 2023

Featured JAH - 10/14/2023, Mar/Apr 1995

 Hello and welcome to another edition of Featured JAH. This week's issue is Mar/Apr 1995, so let's take a look! 

















On the front cover, an Arabian crests a sand dune. This photo looks familiar - I think it may have been used as some type of catalog insert? Can't remember for sure. On the back cover, the Porcelain Arabian Mare in Costume makes her debut! 

















In the Editor's Desk, Stephanie talks about her travels so far and hints about the Breyerfest 1995 Celebration Horse, which won't be announced until the May/June issue. I guess we're kinda spoiled these days with how early we find out details for the next year. Not that Breyer needs any excuses to slow down on the announcements or anything...

Anyway, the EquiNews on the opposite page announces the retirement of Big Ben's retirement, possibly foreshadowing the eventual Big Ben model coming up in 1997. 

















Page 4 has an article about the Porcelain Arabian Mare, with a photo of the entire model. I don't know about you, but I wouldn't mind seeing this one released in plastic, sans tack. On the opposite page is an article about Breyer model horse costumes. 



On page 14-15 we have an article about the real horses behind various Breyer portrait models, including Oxidol, Mister Mister, Tobe, Goliath and Rojo. 



Page 16-17 contains an article about the Kiger mustang Rojo, and page 17's Blast from the Past is the famous (or infamous) Kipper, while the Just About...Breyer Animals features Corky and Bimbo. 



On the centerfold we have images of the aforementioned portrait horses and their corresponding models. Not gonna lie, sometimes I think about starting a conga of the Belgian because I like the American Cream Draft color on him, along with the blue pinto from the Vintage Club a few years back. There's something weird about his head, though, so I guess I'll have to keep thinking about it. Maybe I'll take a look at a Gibson and see what I think of him in person. 



On page 24 and 25 we have an article about Breyer glossies. Gloss had been mostly phased out of the line by 1995, with a few exceptions - CH Imperator being one of them. I wanted CH Imperator back in the day but never got one. 















Lastly for this issue, the Vintage Point covers San Domingo, who'd had a healthy number of releases by 1995, though I don't see Oxidol in this lineup. I guess readers are just supposed to remember he's also in the centerfold of the magazine - probably not a big ask unless you're like me and have terrible short-term memory. I guess he is in the list of special runs. I think I wanted Oxidol back in the day too, but never got him either.

That's all I have for this week - check back next week for May/June 1995! 

No comments:

Post a Comment